Tuesday, May 28, 2019

YAMAHA A3000 FIX - PART 2


Ok. I finally found time to construct the encoders plate for my Yamaha A3000 sampler.
Below is the final version (pics 1 & 2) :

Pic 1

   



Pic.2


























       
In my first attempt, I noticed some flex in the steel plate when pushed with my finger inwards (pic 3). That’s not good, because it cancels the whole idea of the encoders push action not to be transferred to the board, meaning that the metal plate should be rigid enough.

Pic.3
So I made a reinforcement , as shown in the above pic.3 (right arrow). But one more is needed on the left (as shown with the left arrow).

Before completing the construction, I tried to fit the plate and then the faceplate of the A3K to see if everything is ok. Well, the faceplate did not go all the way in, because the steel plate I made was protruding more than the display, (see pic.4 below, and also pic.5)


Pic.4


So, what I decided to do is a little more cutting of the plate (about 2mm cut-off), so the plate’s surface would be flush with the display (see pics 5a & 5b below, before the cutting job).
 


Pic. 5a

Pic. 5b




There is the final result (after cutting and grinding....) :

Pic. 6a


Pic. 6b



You will notice that I found some other metal pieces for the reinforcements construction (pic.6b) that I liked better, and also make the plate fit better to the corresponding holes on the chassis (pic.7 below), through the board’s holes, without the need of adding any washers between the plate and the board (like in my 1rst attempt, see pic.3 & 4).


 
Pic. 7



Some more pics……

 
lifted copper traces on the board, as a result of the push-force of the encoders


lifted & damaged copper traces on the board....
 





The finished plate….
  
 
































The only thing that is missing now is to put nuts on the encoders, since the A3K did not have any installed.. (I’m still searching around, I didn’t imagine that it would be so hard to find these little things…).

So, my next steps :
1)      Find nuts for the encoders
2)      Fit the plate on the chassis with the board
3)      Testing……

As soon as I finally complete the whole procedure  …(wow! Who the f…  am i, a heart surgeon???????).. LOL
I will post the final results with more photos.

Thanks for reading, and I hope I helped somehow all the other owners of this great (though obsolete) sampler.

I can’t wait to do some fiddling with the encoders!!!! LOL

-----------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 29/9/2019 :

I finally ordered some fine-pitch nuts (M7X0,75mm) for the encoders from China, and i am waiting for these to arrive.
As soon as i (finally !!) fit the plate with the encoders in the A3K, i will post it..

Please be a little more patient (me, too 😉 ) .............

-----------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 15/10/2019 :

Finally i received the  fine-pitch nuts (M7X0,75mm) to fix the encoders to the hand-made metal plate!  Read the update here









No comments:

Post a Comment