Sunday, April 21, 2019

YAMAHA A3000 FIX






I recently bought a YAMAHA A3000 v2 sampler from ebay, at a fairly low price, which was stated as untested. So, I thought that I could fiddle with it and fix it.

Reasons I decided to get it were :

1.  When the A3000 appeared in the 90’s, I drooled , and since then I always wanted one of those, but it was really expensive for me, to buy it new…


2.  I recently found out that even if it won’t be used as a sampler (soft samplers are faster to use and easier), I could use it as a realtime FX processor AND utilize the front knobs to fiddle with its excellent filters in realtime ..



Finally, I got it in my hands, and these issues I found out:

a. )  One button in the right panel is not working (a tact-switch needs to be replaced, no biggy.)
b.)   The front 5 knobs are not working as they should and also are very very wobbly. When I disassembled the board I found out that the encoders were officially destroyed.
c.)    It doesn’t have neither a SCSI board or the multi-outs option board (I knew it in advance, but the SCSI I don’t need, and the optional board, well.... it is optional!!)


Searching through the web, I discovered that the A3K encoders issue is quite common, and there were some fixes for their erratic behavior:

https://todbot.com/a3k/knobs/  : deals with the improvement of the encoders erratic behavior (IF, of course they are in good condition, which in my case I can’t say that they are  😞  )

http://www.jsigle.com/musicol/emufix.htm  : this is a modification that improves vastly the encoders functioning precision (somepeople did this mod and saw an improvement).


I haven’t applied any of these techniques yet to my recently bought A3K, because I discovered something else, too: 
the encoder board has lifted copper traces where the pins of the encoders go, meaning that the previous user was most of the time using the problematic encoders with angry force. So each time the encoders’ switches were pushed hard, all the push force was transferred to the pins on the board..

Looking at some mods concerning the A4K at  https://seaweedfactory.blogspot.com/p/yamaha-a4000-encoder-fix-and-compact.html , I saw that this is a design flaw from Yamaha, that was apparently fixed in the later model, the A4000 : The encoders in the A3K  were NOT bolted to a support metal plate with their respective washers and nuts like in the A4000 (see pic below), so any push action on the encoder would be transferred directly to the board (hence the lifted copper traces at the encoders’ pins soldered points)…










So, i decided to fix this also, for a thorough job.


Anyway, let’s break down to it. My repair procedure will now be as follows:

1.)   Find new encoders and replace them.

2.)  Fix the board (with a soldering iron) or find another used board in better shape (which I did)

3.)  MAKE A CUSTOM METAL SUPPORT PLATE TO BOLT ON THE NEW ENCODERS

4.)  Replace the bad tact switch at the right panel board (OR REPLACE THE BOARD).



1. ) &  2.)  :  ENCODERS REPLACEMENT  -  BOARD REPAIR :

The stock encoders are ALPS EC11E15244.. (as described in the link https://todbot.com/a3k/knobs/ ), and it is also written  in the Yamaha service manual schematics.
(The service manual can be found at  https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_a3000_sm.zip/download.html)

After a lot of searching, I found these encoders readily available:

1.)  ALPS EC11E15244B2  (same specs 30-detent-15 pulses with switch)
2.)  BOURNS PEC11L-4220F-S0015  (it seems to me that this is an excellent replacement to the ALPS item, and I have read some good reviews concerning the quality of these Bourns encoders).
3.)  ALPS EC11K1524406  (difference is the increased turning torque, I might pass this by….)
4.)  Alps EC11B15244A7

After reading the encoders’ datasheets, i decided to go first at the Bourns PEC11L-4220F-S0015 (which is stated to be “audio-grade”) and then at the ALPS EC11E15244B2 .  Actually , I think I will buy both types and fix 2 boards (the one I have, and the second one I purchased which seems to be in a better condition).
The board with the encoders in question is the Yamaha XS-548, and I found one very cheap, but the fix will have to wait for now, since I haven’t received it yet………..

…………………………………………..

3.)  :  METAL SUPPORT BRACKET :

I have made the design and found support points to mount this metal support, but I have yet not made it… (I am currently awaiting for a Dremel tool to arrive, which will make the construction easier and more accurate..).
My draft design is something like this:



If you bolt the encoders through the metal-support plate's holes with their nuts & washers, then everytime you push the encoder’s switch, the push force will be transferred directly to the metal support plate and NOT to the board itself, thus protecting the board's pin connections and copper pads.

…………………………………………..

 …………………………………………..


Anyway, all of the above is just my plan, as soon I get the used board and the new encoders in my possession.
I will post the whole procedure, when I complete this project. 
I just had to share this to all A3000 owners, so this might help you prolong the life of this excellent and features-rich sampler  from Yamaha.

Oh well, nobody is perfect, and Yamaha fixed the issue with the encoders support with the new model (the A4K), so they know better.

I will keep you all posted.






----------------   ...  ...   ---------------------





26 comments:

  1. Awesome posts! Thanks, and I look forward to your next update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your good words!!
      You may check my update of May 2019 (A3000 Fix Part-2)..

      Delete
  2. Excellent work and great design idea! Quick question on the replacement encoders though. I just installed a set of ALPS EC11E15244B2 per your recommendation and they are a bit too long leaving exposed shafts after the knobs were back on. Are any of the other part numbers on your list a closer match size wise to the original?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words. :)
    The ALPS EC11E15244B2 should not be longer than the stock Yamaha (Alps) encoder. I have read the datasheet again and it has a shaft length of 20mm, same as the Yamaha old one, so it seems a bit weird. Another option is the ALPS EC11E15244G1 with 1mm less push-switch travel, but the datasheet doesn't show an increase in total shaft length. I did not buy this encoder for my sampler so all i can comment is by reading the datasheet. BUT, i did buy the Bourns PEC11L-4225F-S0015 by mistake (..-4225F-.. means has a shaft of 25 mm which IS longer, instead i had to order the PEC11L-4220F-S0015 !! After removing those extra 5mm , the encoder fitted perfectly. So shaft should be 20mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much for your reply and help. Don't get me wrong, the Alps EC11E15244B2 work flawlessly but they are even visibly longer prior to the install. Maybe Mouser screwed up the order? So the Bourns encoders you got are an exact match size wise? The knobs fit just as before flush against the panel?

      Delete
    2. I'm now convinced Mouser sent me the wrong size. Despite it reading correct on my order and the bag they came in they are definitely longer than the stock ones. I'm thinking coincidentally they sent me the 25mm variant. I just ordered the exact Bourns set you did (20mm). Here's to hoping.

      Delete
    3. To clear things up, please read the update here : https://synthnitz.blogspot.com/2020/01/yamaha-a3000-fix-part-4-new-encoders.html that i finally found time to post . :) . My conclusion is that some mods need to be done, anyway. Please read the update and keep me informed of your progress. :) Greetings.

      Delete
    4. This is enormously helpful. So based on this it appears my order was fine. The 20mm Alps I installed fit just like your chopped Bourns. Roughly 3mm too long. Believe me the thought of cutting these crossed my mind too. Prior to this I was looking at some Alps with a 15mm actuator length and even those are tough to find. I've been after the exact size of the originals for years now so I'm right there with you. I've been aware of Todd's page from the start knowing he never nailed one down either without a potential sketchy bulk order from Japan. It's funny, the only real obstacle here actually seems to be the knobs themselves. If you look inside them there is a little plastic slit for grooved encoders on other Yamaha products which also use these knobs. That is what is stopping that knob from going on any further and becoming flush with the unit. I'd love to figure out how to get rid of that safely and yes I've tried finding deeper replacement knobs without luck too.

      Delete
    5. Side note: I think I should be able to get exact by cutting the Alps encoders on your list as the lip sits much lower on the shaft than the Bourns encoders. Much like the originals this should allow more than enough shaft for the knobs push button etc. and should be flush once done.

      Delete
    6. This is also a way to do it for the knobs to sit flush within the shaft, exactly my thought! You realise it is a very delicate procedure, much more delicate than cutting-off the shaft! When you do it this way, i think you will have a perfect result ! :) Very nice !

      Delete
  4. We're getting closer. I cut down the Alps EC11E15244B2 but as expected I'm still a little long due only to the increased travel size on those. I just ordered a set of ALPS EC11E15244G1 per your earlier request and I think once I cut those down we should be in business for a perfect match as their travel length matches the stock ones. The Alps seem to be the best matches from what I've found due to the lip at the bottom of the shaft being at the right height however finding the correct length from that lip to the tip of the shaft is the hard part. Alps has a new part that's a 15mm actuator but still not exact. I'll let you know how these turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at the same ship with you! The struggle to find the matching part, and to be available, too! That's why my fix lasts 4ever!! :) The Alps EC11E15244G1 was my alternative from the Alps p.nrs, but it was not available at digikey or mouser when i went out shopping.. so i went for Bourns instead. Also, you may have noticed that the new Alps encoders do not have any threads to screw mounting nuts (which was my scope of my initial project..), so i rejected the Alps option.
      I totally agree with you that the lip of the shaft is the hard part which i miscalculated at first and found out AFTER i received the Bourns (wrong) encoder! I was tempted to grind the lip off by 3 mm, but i opted for the extra pad instead... Anyway, i hope you finalize your fix, you are a the right path, my friend!
      Thanks for all of this information.

      Delete
  5. This is that new Alps I was referring to. I don't know anything about this store though. It's about the only place that carries it:

    https://www.chip1stop.com/JPN/en/view/dispDetail/DispDetail?partId=ALPS-0010508&keyword=EC11N1524402

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the datasheet of your find ( https://tech.alpsalpine.com/prod/e/html/encoder/incremental/ec11/ec11n1524402.html ), and it is almost an exact match (19,5mm total height and 15mm shaft with 0,5mm push action travel). Still, no treads for mounting nuts (i don't know why Alps dismissed those)..
      Anyway, let me know of your final result. Greetings.

      Delete
  6. Shoot, I forgot about you needing the grooves on your end. I agree it seems an odd re-design for them. So in preparation of me cutting down the new encoders when I get them I've gotta ask, how on earth did you get such a clean cut when you did yours? In the pics your top looks factory rounded? How did you do that without machining?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience and a set of diamond-cut mini-files. When i was a teen, i used to modify 2-stroke engines for Motocross and racing, so i had a lot of practice with filing those cylinder ports!! :)

      Delete
    2. Impeccably done! So you're going to love this. I just got the BOURNS PEC11L-4220F-S0015 (20mm) I ordered previously...the lip length much be less than on the 25s you got because on these it lines up perfectly with the stock ones. As you suspected about 3mm off these and you should be exact AND with thread.

      Delete
    3. For me sans your reinforcement plate I'm going to likely use that 2nd set of Alps with the .05 travel time as the torque and push values are lower than the Bourns so they should be easier on my board. Your reinforcement plus the 20mm Bourns and you basically just turned yours into an A4000. Again, very well done my friend.

      Delete
    4. Boohoohoo.. :( what a fool i am !! What a stupid mistake i made and typed 5 instead of 0 !! So, every mistake has to be paid in full, and i did all that cutting and grinding...
      Oh well. I am so happy that you got the Bourns correct p.nr and it's a match! Anyway i'll use what i have because it is a hassle and also additional shipping cost to order again the correct Bourns...

      Delete
  7. The Alps you'll use with the lower push & torque values you chose is the ideal solution, so you will never need any reinforcing plate! Excellent, my friend!! And through our conversation, i understood that you are a person who doesn't settle with anything less than perfection and you treat your equipment with care and love !
    After all of this, i am thinking of gathering all info (from your actions too) and make a .pdf and post it here, after of course i test the board i made... You're cool with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely correct about how I treat my equipment as I'm certain you are the same. Also spot on re: perfection. There are 2 ways of doing things. The right way or again. Thanks to your blog and our findings on the exact encoder specs, which I would be more than happy for you to share, people will FINALLY have the exact numbers and methods to perform essentially factory restorations and/or improvements on these things. Tod's page as good as it is wasn't even able to do that after being up for years. As you said for folks that want a simple route just to replace the encoders with a softer feel they can go my route and for those looking for a sturdier, more professional feel they can choose your improvements with the 20mm Bourns. Both fitting factory correct. Honestly I think a lot of people will benefit from this in the future.

      Delete
    2. I can now confirm with 100% certainty that the ALPS EC11E15244G1 with 3mm ( I went 3.5mm to play it safe) cut off the end fit and function exactly like the stock encoders. Based on my measurements the Bourns PEC11L-4220F-S0015 would fit identically once cut to the same length. The only difference as you know being the Bourns are threaded and have a little more push and turn resistance. The trick as we learned is cutting off enough so that the cap is stopped by the lip NOT that slit deep inside the cap. Couldn't have done this without you my friend.

      https://www.flickr.com/photos/186113604@N08/49464224011/in/dateposted-public/

      Delete
  8. "re: here are 2 ways of doing things. The right way or again." I love the way you put it! We R on the same page here !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your test report with the ALPS EC11E15244G1 ! In your photo i see such a romantic vibe, if you know what i mean : nice and shiny and clean, a perfect rack !!! Amazing job you did with the Alps. I am very happy that my recommendation of the Alps was useful ! So, after our collaboration, i prepared a "CONCLUSIONS" page that contains the complete story. Please read and tell me your opinion. i hope it could serve as a guide for other users, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You honestly did a fantastic job with your conclusions page and I can't believe you actually tracked down the identical part! I'm excited to come back years from now to see the people it will benefit. Truly meticulous work on all of your improvements and documentation. It's been a privilege. Looking forward to our next obsessive repair!

      Delete
    2. Our collaboration produced a big tasty BLUE fruit: an A3000 that works like candy!! :)
      It's been a privilege for me too. And i am thankful for all your testing and you sharing this with me.
      Your actions pushed me to complete the project faster than i expected. And now we both can enjoy
      fiddling with these curvy Yamaha knobs! :)
      "Obsessive repair" ! I like the way you put it! Let's see when we wake up one morning, what other thing will pop up in our minds to fix!!

      And, for me, this is the usefulness of the web:
      not the social media virtual world,...but information that fills the gaps of our limited minds...
      My very best regards, my friend, and thank you for your sharing! Looking forward for what's next..

      Delete